Birds & Wildlife

Finding a Wildlife Rehabilitator

To rehabilitate injured wildlife, it is best for the animals (and required by law) to leave that to a licensed professional rehabilitator

If you find a native animal that appears to be sick, injured, or truly orphaned—and you want to help—getting the animal to a wildlife rehabilitator is its best chance for survival. Here are some basic facts you should know:

Only a licensed wildlife rehabilitator or rehabilitation facility should handle and treat a wild animal. Connecticut has an extensive network of organizations, agencies, and individuals who rescue wild animals in need. The primary goal of any wildlife rehabilitator is to increase an animal’s chances of surviving in the wild once the animal is released. Most rehabilitators are volunteers and not government agencies, and will appreciate a monetary donation from you to help support the animal that you bring to them. Greenwich Audubon Center is not licensed by the state to take or rehabilitate sick, injured, or orphaned animals.

Do not release animals at Greenwich Audubon Center

Wild animals from your yard such as raccoons or squirrels and pets such as turtles and fish cannot be released on Audubon properties. This is a violation of Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (CT-DEEP) policy. These introduced animals will not survive here and will disrupt the balance of the Audubon center’s animal populations.

Wildlife animals are not pets. It is best for both you and the animal, to leave the animal in the wild and respect and appreciate it in its natural habitat. It is unlawful to keep native wild animals without a license. Be aware that these wild animals can carry diseases that can be harmful to humans.

Orphaned animals are best cared for by their natural parents. The most helpful step you can take is to ensure that the animal is located where its parent will find it. In most cases, baby animals that you find are not abandoned or orphaned. Leave them where they are, and their parents will most likely find them.

Call one of the rehabilitators or services listed below to see if they are able to take the animal.

To Locate Wildlife Rehabilitators in Connecticut

Resource Contact Information
CT-DEEP Wildlife Division During office hours: 860-424-3011
24-hour hotline: 860-424-3333
Rehabilitator’s list
Wildlife in Crisis PO Box 1246
Weston, CT 06883


To Locate Wildlife Rehabilitators in New York, consult the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website: “Find a Wildlife Rehabilitator Near You.” 

Help make the world a better place